Hasbi is a dedicated Grade 3 pupil of the Yellow Boat of Hope Foundation’s in the Philippines. Hasbi attends the Yellow School of Hope in Sitio Tehemen, a Sama-Bajau community in Maluso, Basilan. To better focus on his learning, he isolates himself from the rest of the children in his community using this boat. The Bajaus of Sitio Tehemen live a harsh life. They do not usually put education on top of their priorities. By the time they are able to attend school, most of youth immediately start working or get married. Alfahad Julaili , one of Hasbi’s teachers, took a photo of him. He remarks, “I feel happy because I see him studying very hard. I did not expect that there would be someone like him in the Bajau community,” referring to how studying is generally less prioritized as they usually stop at Grade 10 and wed early. In the photo, Hasbi is seen aboard a yellow boat provided with the support of Give a Hand along the mangrove trees , reading a book. The Yellow Boat of Hope Foundation established the Sitio Tehemen Yellow Boat Community in 2013. Since then, multiple interventions have been done to better the lives of the residing Bajau families. This includes the construction of the Yellow School of Hope in 2016, and the provision of yellow school boats like the one Hasbi is seen with -- a boat in partnership with Monde par la Main / Give a Hand. Since the community started its formal education, Hasbi has consistently been a part of his class’s top 10 students. “He understands what education is for. He wishes to better his family’s life. He is a symbol of change,” Teacher Al further remarked.

Posted by dlalande at 2022-01-25 11:55:19 UTC