“Ciego de Ávila, Cuba” I have to admit one thing. I often find myself at odds with my own feelings. It's the inability to express, in a good old fashion way, what they mean or even how much they move me inside. This is exactly how I felt when I found myself in the middle of Ciego de Avila, Cuba, a few years ago. A land forgotten by time but certainly not by god. Ciego de Ávila is a tiny city that is strategically positioned in the middle of the island of Cuba. Founded in 1840, it played an important role during the first war of independence. A short drive to the north will take you to the Atlantic Ocean, while a drive south will take you the Caribbean Ocean (see attached picture). To the west lies the municipality of Sancti Spíritus, and the municipality of Camagüey lies to the east. While the land is fertile and the weather is warm and lush, Ciego de Ávila’s most valuable resource is its people. Caring and open, they’ve been hardened by time and circumstance. They’ll welcome you gladly into their homes to share their food with you. You will then be invited to sit on the porch to drink coffee, all the while they’ll tell you mighty stories of the good old days…

Posted by Frank at 2021-07-11 23:37:33 UTC